🎙 Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s interview with TASS News Agency (Moscow, September 28, 2023)
Key talking points:
• When starting to circulate provocative rumours like this, the West is obviously testing us for willingness to accept its terms, and they are not particularly subtle about it. They want to take a break for a few months without signing any agreement except a temporary ceasefire in order to gain time and pump more weapons into Ukraine.
• They cannot reproach us for lack of good will. <...> We are ready to come to terms, taking into account the realities on the ground, and based on our well-known position. It is also imperative to take into account our security interests and prevent the creation of a hostile Nazi regime on our borders.
• Historically, geographically, and geopolitically, it is not possible to lose Russia in the sense of completely disregarding its interests in the South Caucasus. However, some leaders in Yerevan are expressing such hopes openly.
• We have never had a negative attitude toward the Georgian people. We genuinely love them, just like we love all the South Caucasus nations. <...> We saw that the current government in Tbilisi is interested in normalising relations, at least in the interests of ordinary citizens.
• We don’t have unfriendly athletes, citizens, or even countries. There are unfriendly governments that have temporarily come to power in some countries whose people have always had good and friendly relations with us.
Read in full